Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bad Mom Moment...

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have done this.

The end of January is the Cannon Falls Alumni Tournament where many of the CF graduates come back and play in a basketball and volleyball tournament. Being a good wife, I brought Griffy to the high school to watch Ben play that Saturday afternoon. Now, my car has a fancy automatic door-locking system. If I hit the lock button ONCE, the doors will lock within 10 seconds of the doors closing. If I hit the button TWICE, it locks all the doors immediately. So, I turned off my car, grabbed my keys, purse and diaper bag, opened my door, hit the lock button ONCE, and crawled in the back seat to take him out of his car seat. He's sleeping of course. As I'm unbuckling Griff, my phone rings.

Now, hindsight- I should have just let it ring. But it's Katie and what if it's something important, and Griff was sleeping anyway so it's not like he was waiting for me. Right? So I answer it and think to myself, "I'll just step outside to talk so Griff can keep sleeping." I step outside and quietly close the door. Talk, talk, talk, lock.

Uh oh. %*$&#! KATIE, I JUST LOCKED GRIFF AND MY KEYS IN THE CAR!

A frantic and cold 20 minutes later, Mr. Towtruck/locksmith/lifesaver unlocked my car and I scooped up my still sleeping boy and we went to finish watching Ben's basketball game.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Bekki, I did it too. I locked Mira in the car when she was about 14 months old. It was July, but fortunately it was a nice day in the 70s and the shopping center I was at was less than a mile from the police station. I sang to Mira until the police arrived and he kindly opened the door for me. We've all done it.

sally said...

these baby is clever